Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Language Barrier - American English

English word for the act of breaking into a house: BURGLE
American word for same: BURGLARIZE

In English, one who breaks into a house is a BURGLAR, and the act is to BURGLE.

Can I surmise that in American English, one who BURGLARIZES a house takes part in an act of BURGLARIZATION, and therefore his occupation could be described as that of a BURGLARIZATIONIST?

And if a BURGLARIZATIONIST burglarizes a house, is he partaking in BURGLARIZATIONISM?

When Samuel Webster wrote the first USA dictionary he tried to simplify the language, thus colour became color, centre became center, aluminium had too many syllables and became aluminum (maybe Webster had a speech impediment and couldn’t wrap his tongue around it – would that be tongerize?). So if simplification (simplificationizeation) was the aim, why complicate (complicatize) the issue?

Here are a few suggestions for new additions to the American dictionary:

A manager MANAGES – this appears so in both English and American. Why doesn’t he MANAGERIZE?

A president PRESIDES – why not PRESIDERIZE (would that make George W BUSH the PRESIDERIZER of the USA? Maybe he already thinks that’s what he is).

To walk is to WALK – why not WALKERIZE: in the past tense, one would have WALKED – why not WALKERIZED? (‘Shall we walkerize around the park today, my child?’ or ‘I walkerized around the block this morning’.)

That's it for the time being: I have posted my BLOG, therefore I must have BLOGGERIZED!

Saturday, February 14, 2004

You can see how frustrated I am, can't you? Even my OBSEVRATIONS are misspelled!

Verulam Writers' Circle

That's the writers' circle for which I am webmaster.